During the month of June, the U.S. recognizes National Safety Month by calling attention to workplace safety. In addition to our emphasis on safety topics specific to Mauser Packaging Solutions, we join with other companies across the U.S. by focusing on weekly topics provided by the National Safety Council.
National Safety Month – Week One - Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSDs)
Whether your day is spent standing on a production floor or sitting at a desk, ergonomics can reduce strain on the musculoskeletal system caused by awkward movement, repetitive motion or remaining in a stationary position for a prolonged period of time.
Basic tips for reducing physical strain in the workplace include:
- Work in a neutral posture
- Avoid exerting a lot of force while working
- Vary your tasks
- Lift with your legs – never your back
- Reduce stressful movements
- Keep frequently used items close to avoid twisting or turning often
- Use the right tools and setup for the job
- Make sure work areas are well lit
- Get proper rest and take breaks
Every worker deserves to work in an environment where their safety is valued and risks of musculoskeletal disorders are evaluated and minimized. Musculoskeletal disorders are the most common causes of disability, early retirement and limitations to gainful employment. Mauer Packaging Solutions routinely evaluates the workspaces as well as required movements for completing tasks to ensure that the workplace is ergonomically safe for employees.