The same safe driving practices that apply to personal driving should be practiced when driving at work whether on the road or when driving industrial vehicles such as a forklift. Motor vehicle crashes are the number one cause of workplace deaths, and pedestrian fatalities are on the rise.
Think through on-the-job risks to stay safe around vehicles in your workplace:
- Use crosswalks and designated walkways to stay clear of vehicles.
- When working near forklifts and similar vehicles, wear safety vests for extra visibility.
- Avoid audio, visual and cognitive distractions to stay aware of the vehicles around you.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
- Report hazards such as wet floors or torn seat belts to keep yourself and your co-workers safe.
- Always use signals and lights when driving, and give pedestrians the right of way.
- Obey posted speed limits and signs.