Basic tips for reducing physical strain in the workplace include:
- Work in a neutral posture
- Avoid exerting a lot of force while working
- Vary your tasks
- Lift with your legs – never your back
- Reduce stressful movements
- Keep frequently used items close to avoid twisting or turning often
- Use the right tools and setup for the job
- Make sure work areas are well lit
- Get proper rest and take breaks
Ergonomic injuries are disorders of the soft tissue, specifically of the muscles, nerves, tendons, ligaments, joints, cartilage, blood vessels and spinal discs. Ergonomic injury is often cumulative so employees should remain aware of signs that an activity or position is leading to an injury.
Mauer Packaging Solutions routinely evaluates the workspaces as well as requirement movement for completing tasks to ensure that the workplace is ergonomically safe for employees.