Safety is a top priority at Mauser Packaging Solutions. During the month of June, the US recognizes National Safety Month by calling attention to workplace safety. At Mauser, we will continue to place a strong emphasis on redefining safety during the month of June while recognizing the ongoing efforts our facilities are taking to ensure employee safety in the workplace.
Watching someone trip or fall can be humorous in YouTube videos but slips, trips, and falls in the work place are no laughing matter.
Did you know:
- Falls are the second leading cause of on the job deaths (Bureau of Labor Statistics).1
- 23 percent of fatal falls occur from a height of 10 feet or less (2017 Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index).1
- Slips and trips without a fall make up almost 4 percent of disabling workplace injuries (Liberty Mutual).1
- Fall related citations were two of OSHA’s top 10 most cited violations in 2018 with general fall protection ranking at number one and fall protection training ranking at number 8 (Safety and Health Magazine).2
The most common causes of slips, trips, and falls are floor contamination, objects obstructing walkways, floor irregularities or damage, inadequate lighting, weather conditions, stairs and railings, ladders and step stools, floor mats, and unprotected edges. Employees should be aware of these hazards and cautions when working in conditions that could result in trips, slips, and falls. This type of preventable accident accounted for 13% of all injuries at Mauser Packaging Solutions in the past 12 months.
Keep these tips in mind to avoid slips, trips, and falls:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep workspace clutter free.
- Clean up spills immediately
- Use caution when using ladders or step stool.
1Black, M. (2019, February 24) Safety+Health Magazine. Flooring standards and fall prevention. Retrieved from https://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/18059-flooring-standards-and-fall-prevention
2Druley, K. (2019, 27 November) Safety+Health Magazine. OSHA’s ‘Top 10’ most cited violations. Retrieved from https://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/17702-oshas-top-10-most-cited-violations-for-fiscal-year-2017